Monday, March 28, 2011

What's up?? In my garden, that is...

Posting from my phone is not as much fun as posting from my iPad. But here we go! We've had a few days of really good rain and cooler weather here in Cabarrus County, North Carolina. Things are really springing up in my garden! I've got these cute little spinach plants all down the middle of my potato patch:






There are a few potatoes coming up too. I've also got lettuce, basil, peas, onions, cabbage, an broccoli.






One of the things about lasagna gardening is the surprise of a volunteer plant every now and then. They spring up out of the heavily composted growing medium and leave you thinking, "Hey! Who put that there?!?". For example:





Now, I am pretty bad about letting bagged potatoes sprout. Last fall I sent my oldest son out with a load of potato peels to dump. He went to the very edge of my largest bed (as close as possible to the house) and dumped them. Then I went back through and dumped about two feet of pecan leaves on top of them and thought no more about it... Until last week! As you can see, I now have big and healthy potato plants growing from these discarded peels. Last year I had cantaloupe and cherry tomatoes grow this way as well! Yipee!

I love surprises like this!





Garden March 2011.

Location:Beech St NW,Concord,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment